We may not have had the opening rains yet, but it’s autumn and it’s time to plan and prepare for native gardens. Most Australian plants do best in SA when planted just after the opening rains, giving them a chance to get their roots established over winter and spring and to be robust and ready when next summer hits.
Native gardens, when planned carefully and planted in sympathy with the seasons and their surroundings, can be both incredibly beautiful and very hardy. More cultivars of native plants are becoming available all the time, to meet the demand for drought-tolerant plants in diverse shapes, colours and sizes to suit gardens of all styles.
Here are some fantastic online resources to refer to when considering what to plant in your native gardens…
- State Flora catalogue – available to download as PDF or order a print copy
- Landscapes Alive plant selector (Adelaide Botanic Gardens) – click on the ‘continue to search’ link to use the database
- Gardening with Angus “Find a Plant” page – a visual search facility enabling you to identify native plants by their appearance. Particularly useful for flowering shrubs.
- Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden has a series of ‘arid smart’ garden design templates illustrating uses for very drought-tolerant native plants.
The Adelaide Botanic Gardens’ Australian native garden section (near the National Wine Centre) is really worth a look too, especially if you are gardening in a confined space, as it uses native species in a very inviting, contemporary style.
In selecting plants, you will also want to consider your local climate, soil type, aspect, the overall look that you are aiming for (e.g. formal and structured, wild or serene, colourful or minimalist), and whether you want to create habitat – e.g. to attract birds, bees, butterflies, lizards and other native fauna.
I will be stocking up on native plant tubestock soon in preparation for planting out when the rain finally arrives… so if you would like to kick-start your native garden this autumn, please contact me to place an order or arrange a consultation.
Phone: 0410 636 857
Visit market stall (now with added gardening books!)…
- Organic Corner Store, corner of Brighton and Harrow Roads, Somerton Park – Thursday mornings fortnightly (next: 18/4/13)
- Marion Market, Sturt Rd, Marion – 1st & 3rd Sundays (next: 21/4/13)